The Secret Door with SK

A Simple, Inexpensive Door Into Magic

These are the doors installed in our new home. Simple builder's grade doors. Hollow core with a white painted finish from the factory.

Not my idea of some kind of wonderful and not pretty at all. Well at least not what I was dreaming of.
My ideas don't always make sense to other people. A simple cure...or so I thought.

Using a circular saw, we cut the top curved panel out.
Using strips of thin masonite I filled the inner cut edge. I then used carpenters wood filler to caulk the gaps between the door and the masonite filler.

As this was drying I used a simple vine stencil to make a 3-D design.
I painted both sides a flat black chalk paint. I love damask designed paper. I turned the door over and papered the bottom panel.  After it dried I sanded it back and antiqued the paper.

I acid etched a simple striped and damask design onto the the glass insert which will go into the upper panel cutout.

The upper curve is accentuated with a 3-D damas design. I painted it black then whitewashed limed wash, which I wiped off leaving a soft old look.
 
The front is painted with Modern Master Metal Effects Paint. Copper and iron


The clear bubble glass knobs were painted with a teal glass paint. The knob backer is painted with rust and copper effects paint.

Thanks for visiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK