SK's Damask Buffet

Reborn Buffet with SK

I have found some furniture is built to withstand just about any abuse.

 This seven foot buffett is very, very heavy. Built of solid wood and then veneered with a dark oak.


The veneer was chipping and flaking off every surface. And impossible for me to restore to the original surface. The knobs were heavy duty but very 60's.

My client wanted a painted design to fit in with her other restored pieces.

I sanded and painted the top with my custom chalk paint. Four coats, sanding after each coat. This helped fill the badly damaged top.
 Using a black and white damask tissue, I decoupaged  the top. When I use paper or tissue to decoupage, I do not use modge podge or similar products. I use water based, satin varathane. This gives me a much more durable surface.











I sanded it back and then antiqued and waxed the damask surface.
I mixed a custom cream chalk paint for the doors and body then painted three successive coats, sanding after each coat was cured.
I use a paste wax. Rubbing it into the chalk paint with an old paintbrush, then wiping off the excess. After the wax is dry to the touch, I use an electric buffer to buff to a high shine. I waxed and buffed this piece three times.
Using Modern Masters Metal Effects Paint I painted the knob backsplashes copper and then let the patina turn it's characteristic old green. The finishing touch are the crystal knobs. I am a Hobby Lobby fan. I can find just about anything I need.
Thanks for visiting. sk on elderberry


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK