Round Top Love with SK

A Sorry Little Boy Continues:


 
A shattered and abused cabinet came my way this week. I call him a he, because he looks very masculine. Well maybe not, I will come up with a better name soon. I love to name these old pieces. I think they deserve the attention.
He is about five feet tall. So not as big as a common armoire. The legs, top and bottom are in very bad shape. The veneer is peeling on every surface. And the SMELL. Oh my goodness. The smell is just tragic. I can't imagine what could have been stored for so long that this kind of smell would put up such a fight to stay on.

Sunlight, Febreze, soda, ammonia, Dawn. The lot of them had to be used. Then the Kilz came out with a poly coat before I could even begin to fix the broken bits.
He came tied up with string to keep from falling apart.
Glue, repositioning and tied off tight, helps to keep him together as the glue dries.
The veneer is in such bad shape in spots it cannot be salvaged.
There seemed to be a past attempt at saving him. 1"x4" pine boards were nailed to the interior for support.

As I work on him I try to imagine his history. The stories of past adventures and secrets. With the glue and nails making him sturdy again, I will begin to envision what he shall look like in the end.
With my custom chalk paint and decoupaging a damask paper inside he is beginning to grow on me.
 With the original chest being just five feet tall, the curved top looked awkward and top heavy. I build a second shelf box to bring height to the cabinet. The curved top will look more balanced with a larger cabinet.
The original hardware was missing. I have painted knobs and back plates from Hobby Lobby a copper which has turned a green patina. Modern Masters Metal Effects Paint is a favorite of mine.
The art deco curled designs have been painted copper which is turning a green patina. This actually looks like inlaid copper.

Update: He is complete and it has been a very long road.

This cabinet was in very poor condition, so I was convinced I couldn't hurt him much more. Oh I was so wrong.

I added height with an additional cabinet. This top cabinet is open and lined with the damask paper and antiqued. I have made an access hole for electrical.
Prime and papered the inside with a pretty damask.
I then painted him in a dark gray chocolate chalk paint.

As I completed the dark chalk paint exterior, I was not a happy camper.
So I re-painted him in a deep red. Ugh. Still not happy. 

I loved the hardware way more than I did the actual cabinet.

By now I'm just past perplexed. Maddening is what it is. He just wouldn't tell me what he wanted.

So back to the drawing board. The home for this cabinet is destined is at the end of a hallway. The wall behind him is painted with a Modern Masters Rust. So I decided to drop back to my best selling color: Antique Cream cracked.

I added another crown molding on top of the new top shelf. This helped balance the rather awkward sizing of the very top round top.

This cabinet was built between the Victorian era and someone experimenting with the new rage" Art Deco. A good example of someone trying too hard.

This cabinet has taken me months and several lifetime coats of paint. Six coats of paint in total and I am so done. But......He still makes me smile and stop to ponder every time I walk by.

I hand cut the front doors along the art deco scroll and added a antique bubble glass. This shows the pretty paper inside, which will be lit with an interior light showing through glass shelves.

I still like the hardware.

Bless your hearts for not sleeping through this discourse. I'm not sure he is complete...I will let him live at the end of the hall for a while. As I walk by he still makes me smile and wonder.

Hmmmm....Here I go again. I might never be completely happy with this awkward little cabinet.
Decoupaged damask paper on the entire surface. Sanded and antiqued.




New copper and crystal knobs.

But at last he makes me smile. You know that love of an ugly puppy. He's so ugly he's cute? Well there ya go.

I am done. Again. And happy. He will be a conversation piece which holds antique linens.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK