A Life Long Wedding Round One. Kimmie's Paper Flowers

Kimmie


It's not often an artist has the privilege of planning an event such as this. And I'm not totally sure how to document the three months of work and planning.

Kimmie asked me at the age of ten, if I would "do" her wedding when she grew up. Of course I said yes. That was twenty some odd years ago. I had no idea of what I was in for.


A bridezilla she is not. Kimmie and her mother were the perfect clients. At peace, willing to do whatever I came up with. The end results were a most beautiful bride and a very happy mom. And of course a very handsome groom thrown in to boot. Exhausted but completely happy with my results.

So I will try to document this adventure by each process.

The Backdrop:  The proper credit for this ideas goes to Darcy Jackson of Silver Spoon Cakes of Salt Lake City.   And let's not forget Pinterest.
Four sheets of plywood, painted black. Standing on end, side-by-side. I had broken my left foot soon after the engagement photos, so I was completely lazy and made over a hundred large paper flowers for this 16' by 8' flower backdrop while recuperating in bed. Each with their very own personality.

Ron, my hubby, patient man that he is, would ask each evening, if he could slide into bed without sharing the bed with large paper flowers.

They lay stacked to the rafters, waiting their turn to be painted and personalized.





As each flower was secured to the black plywood, I continued to make flowers to fill in the gaps.



On the back of each piece of plywood, the groom and brother-in-law drilled hundreds of holes to place fairy lights. This made the entire background and petals glow. 







 We found many of the flowers were almost three feet across and became too heavy for hot glue to secure properly. So we tacked each flower after glueing.
This 16' backdrop took over two thousand sheets of white typing paper and four weeks to complete. So pretty. So not ever doing it again!


Thanks for visiting.
The saga of this wedding will go on.
Next time I will detail the decorations, florals and 50" five layer  wedding cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK