SK's Chalkboard Refrigerator

I have hated my stainless steel fridge since brand new. It looks great when it's clean. But heaven forbid don't ever use it or get fingerprints on it. It is a constant battle to keep clean. So I decided to fix the problem.

PAINT
My solution to near everything. So here goes.

I used a rotary sander with 220 grit sandpaper and sanded the entire surface. I then cleaned it with soap and water.















I taped off the sections I wanted to paint with painters tape. Use an oil based primer and prime the sections taped off. Let dry and cure overnight.










In a mixing bowl sift 2 cups, Non-sanded grout. I had some brown left over from a job. You can use white if you want your chalkboard to be a different color. Mix in your acyclic paint till it is a consistently that can be rolled with a paint roller. I needed to add a small amount of water to make it paint consistently.

Using a paint roller, paint a first coat evenly. Let dry and paint another two or three coats. Keep your grout/paint mixture covered. It will dry and become unusable after a couple of hours, so you need to work quickly.
Remove tape. I wanted my chalkboard to be a bit more decorative so I hand cut a stencil and added a painted stencil around the edges of  the chalkboard

   I'll let you know how this wears as we erase and under more use.  I had fun and I no longer need to fuss about fingerprints. I am going to use the top right as a shopping list and let the grand kids use the lower areas for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK