Kind Clients whom Become Kind Friends

Old Stuff *New Friends

 


Heidi is the best cool stuff finder and then she brings them to me.
I am using Modern Masters Metal Effects Paints in Copper.

Before painting I used Wood Frosting to texture the old pine. When the painting is done and the pieces waxed and buffed it will look and feel like old tarnished copper.
I am not a regular garage “sailor,” but from time to time I go. I have nothing against it, but you can spend a lot of time, and find nothing you are interested in. You see, what I am interested in is old things. I just find comfort in old stuff. Old furniture. Old dishes. Old linens. Old photos. I may not have lived in that era, but it feels like comfort food for the eye to me. It makes me feel connected with good people. And so, one Saturday, I went garage “sailing.”  I love that Shirley has the eye for the potential of a piece of furniture. Whether it truly is old, or you want it to look like it’s been a beloved piece for a century. I like that she listens to what I want. She may really want something different, but she listens. I chose this one because the ad said they had a mini fridge, and I needed to replace the one I had in my business. When I arrived, I felt like I had stepped back in time.
  The home was this darling French cottage. It was set at the end of a cul de sac that was established with expensive newer homes. The cottage was newer also, but it gave you a feeling that it had sat comfortably there, overlooking a beautiful valley, for years.
The home was this darling French cottage. It was set at the end of a cul de sac that was established with expensive newer homes. The cottage was newer also, but it gave you a feeling that it had sat comfortably there, overlooking a beautiful valley, for years. The proprietors were moving and starting a new adventure, so basically everything was for sale. Knowing my husband might shoot me, I kept my purchases down to the fridge I came for, a kitchen table and two chairs that had been done in a chippy pink and a coffee table and end table. 
 Everything in and about this cottage spoke of the artistic and tasteful nature of the owners… except the coffee and end table. I asked Shirley, what she would
recommend. She gave several really good ideas! 
  THEN, and I say then in CAPITALS, she said the magic words, “I can paint it for you or show you how to do it yourself.” I beamed. I really just wanted to fall on the floor and say, “Thank you! Thank you!” But I held my composure. She let me know where she could be found and I politely skipped away. 
 Why was I so ecstatic? You see I have been looking for someone who could help me change my “treasures” into something unique. And Shirley had just offered. 
  I gave Shirley enough time to get settled… or what I deemed enough and contacted her. I took the two tables over to her new home… and again, and even more so, felt like I had stepped back in time. She had done it again! She had taken a home and made it uniquely and beautifully hers. And it felt like it had been there always. But SK's new cottage home is for another story.
  I left my tables there and she called me a few days later to let me know they were done. I picked them up, and I want you to know, they were all and more, what I expected… so I brought her another couple of pieces. Then another couple… and I have a list. 

  I invited Shirley to come to my home and give advice. I highly recommend this! It’s amazing what little things you can do, but you don’t think of.

Heidi

http://www.sksartell.com
http://www.woodfrosting.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK