What Is $200.00 Worth

MY STORY
One day I went for a run. While I was running I found this small piece of paper on the ground.
I almost ran right past it but I decided to pick it up. After I opened it up, I was a bit surprised.
I felt lucky, and decided to take it home. On my way home, my mind was racing trying to think of what I would spend my new-found fortune on. Nice dinner? Rent payment? New running shoes?

The Solution
My final decision was simple. I would use the money to help other people. The next week I took the money to the bank which was offering a special $100 bonus for opening a new account. I turned my $100 into $200 overnight. I decided to help 100 different people at $2 each to help make their day and spread the joy that I originally felt.



This began what I call the 101 Happy People Project



#61
My co-worker kept having her nice pens stolen, so I bought her a few of her favorite pens.

#51-60
I brought Gushers and Squeeze-Its to our intramural softball game- so that my team could have treats after the game, just like little league.



#50
Donated $2 to the tipping bucket

On another cold and rainy day, a cold wet woman was begging for spare change.  She got some chicken nuggets and warm cookies from McDonald's.





























 #48
While at the register, the cashier asked me if I would like to donate $1 to support the troops.  I did.

I learned a lot about service today.  As I was having a very rough day, I asked my friends to go out for ice cream with me.  I ended up buying them a root beer float and some Frostys. 






The sweet treats didn't cheer me up, but rather the good company and the feeling I get from helping others is what did the trick. It sounds cheesy- but I have found that when we have personal problems, the solution is seldom found by only trying to help ourselves.


#45
My roommate was feeling very sick, so on my way home I stopped by the store and grabbed him a can of chicken noodle soup.





#44
I bought 20 snack packs for a little over $5 and shared them will all my classmates on the last day of school.


#43
I wanted to get a thank you gift for my friend who wrote the original article in the
Daily Universe.  I found a board game with her name on it at the DI.  We played it and learned a surprising amount about geography.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 




#42
I bought a loaf of french bread and can of soup for a dollar each for a homeless man outside the grocery store.My friend knows Spanish and the only books he will read are Calvin and Hobbes.  I found an old Calvin and Hobbes book at the DI in Spanish.  Perfect match.




#43
I found an old VHS tape from the DI. The movie's title was the same name as my friend.  I bought the movie for fun, we watched it, and it was actually a ridiculously funny movie.

#39-40
I have a pen pal who got engaged, so I sent $5 of McDonald's bucks in the mail along with a letter to the happy couple.

Picked up Bee Money and got him some J Dawgs for lunch.




#37
Got some bran muffins from the bakery for a hungry man on the street.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#36
Donated another $2 to the tipping bucket

 

 

 

 

#35
I bought a stamp to Argentina to write a letter to an old friend.



#33-34
Brought bakery bagels to the office.

#32
Bought $2 of chocolate cinnamon bears for the next in line at the candy store.
#31
Brought a McGriddle breakfast sandwich and apple pies to my friends in the morning.




 

 

 



.

#27
I brought some Spongebob-shaped graham crackers to my friend at work, just to say hi.

#26  #30
I donated $2 again to the tipping bucket.  This time to build wells in Cambodia.
http://tippingbucket.org/

#29 I paid for a donut for whoever came next in line at the bakery.



#28
I bought a loaf of french bread and can of soup for a dollar each for a homeless man outside the grocery store.



We asked a nice man to take a picture of my friends and me in the big city. We repaid him with a box of those super-frosted cookies for him and his family.

#25
Helped billions worldwide by donating $2 to Wikipedia.


#24
Purchased a bottle of chocolate milk for the next customer in line.

 
#23
Paid for $2 of chocolate covered cinnamon bears at the candy store for the next lucky customer.







#20-22 Brought McDonald's apple pies to work for 3 of my co-workers. #19
New argyle socks for my older brother. Everyone loves new socks!





 

 

 



#18
Purchased a single serving of eggnog at the store and asked the clerk to hand it to the next lucky Christmas shopper.





#16-17
We anonymously placed $3 of quarters on top of two different laundry machines in town





#12-15
We dropped off four quarters to each of four different gumball machines across the mall along with a note that said "enjoy a free gumball today!"



#10&11
At the Dollar Theater we secretly bought two movie tickets for whoever came next in line.





 

 

 




#9
After seeing a very cold and homeless man, I bought him 3 cookies and 2 apple pies from McDonald's for just $2.

#
8
Donated $2 to the Tipping Bucket again to give bikes to children in Thailand to get to school.
http://tippingbucket.org/





#7
I bought some chocolate milk at the store and had the clerk anonymously give it to the next customer who came through.





#6
I got a bar of dark chocolate for a friend for her birthday.
Because all girls love dark chocolate, right?

#5
I secretly paid for a cupcake and told the person at the register to just give it to the next lucky person who would come through the line






#4
I donated $2 again to the tipping bucket.  This time to build wells in Uganda.
http://tippingbucket.org/









My friend's roommate was having a pretty tough day.  My friend and I ran to the thrift store searching for something to cheer her up. We found a funny mug as part of an inside joke that we knew would make her smile.  It did.




#1,2
The first two people I decided to help were two homeless men sitting outside WalMart. It was cold, dark, and beginning to rain.  I ran to McDonald's and bought them a 6-piece chicken nugget, 3 cookies, and 2 apple pies to warm them up




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this story. So inspiring and so caring!! I have shared with all my friends on facebook! I hope you have a very blessed week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!! What an amazing story! It truly says a lot about you as a person. =)
    I was popping in to follow you back and saw my button! What a pleasant surprise! Thank you!
    I am now your newest follower and look forward to reading much more from you!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey Friends, love to hear your thoughts.
SK